Starting a new business in an uncertain economy is always accompanied by high risks. Startups want to ensure that they leave no stone unturned to ensure their business flourishes but, one of the integral aspects that would help a startup differentiate itself from the competition is often neglected, that is, Intellectual property.
This forced virtual environment has encouraged startups to present their business ideas to the world through the internet in the form of web advertisements or pop-up ads. Startups tend to invest a large amount in trying to bring their brands in notice of the daily consumer but pay little to no attention in protecting themselves from other competition.
What is a copyright?
Copyright is a form of intellectual property that grants any author/owner an exclusive right over their original works. These original works include literature, art, music, cinematography or software. In simpler terms, it is a way of protection of ‘expression of ideas.
Why startups need copyright?
Registration of copyright ensures that the original work created by the author/owner remains protected from possible infringements. Registered copyright ensures that your work is protected not just for your entire lifetime but for 60 years beyond that as well. Startups that provide services to their clients through websites tend to invest heavily in designing their websites, which becomes a possible target of infringement. Thus, startups must evaluate whether their work is susceptible to infringement and for how long they would require protection to receive the maximum benefit out of their product.
Benefits of copyright?
Registering a copyright yields the following benefits-
- Can sell or license the work to create an additional revenue stream.
- It can become an essential part of your marketing giving you exclusivity.
How does TA help you?
- Protecting your copyright against any sort of infringement by others.
- Defend your copyright in the court of law to claim your sole right on it.
- Legally stop others to use, make and sell your work without your agreement.
- Help in preparing licensing agreements to gain maximum monetary benefits